It's been a while since I posted, but I've been doing a fair amount of hobbying in one form or another during the last few weeks despite losing my painting area at home.
I built up an insert for one of the terrain boards in September, and finished painting it earlier this week. I was interested in trying to swap out one of the inserts which is currently a reinforced shell crater for an insert which features a dug-in position for a German 77mm field gun. I came by a few photos of this sort of arrangement on the internet.
Unfortunately, I can't locate the work-in-progress photos of how I went about building the position. However, it was pretty simple to make, involving Styrofoam being cut out and glued to a plywood base as a first step. I measured the Styrofoam before gluing to the plywood base to make sure the new insert would fit into the board. The internal details were then finished and painted before the roof was prepared, the latter being based on a piece of plywood and an assortment of sticks from the garden. Finally, I made some Milliput sandbags and stuck these around the base before the roof was glued on. One the rook was fixed in place, I added some more of the Milliput sandbags and painted anything remaining on the insert which wasn't finished off yet. Here's the finished insert, awaiting the 77mm guns (more of which in the next post!)
I also finished off some trench items. You may remember seeing these earlier in the summer. Generally, I think trenches (and most terrain) looks better with some bits-and-bobs strewn about. They give terrain that lived in look, which helps when you're trying to imagine the battle raging over the table top. There's no magic in these items - the boxes are resin casts from Hovels, the grenades and helmets are from Bolt Action Miniatures and the map's made from a piece of foil from a wine bottle.
I'll post the figures I've finished off over the weekend. Thanks for reading and catch you next time.