One of the projects I started in the summer was a pair of German 7.7cm Feldkanone 96 n.A., together with some German support weapons and a detachment of Stosstruppen. Over the next few days, I thought I’d post up some pictures of how these look now they’re finished, by way of bringing that project to a close.
You might remember that I found building the two German field guns more than a little tricky. The Renegade model was, in particular, difficult to glue together and I ended up pinning it in a couple of places.
However, painting the guns was a lot easier than building them. I opted for a couple of colour schemes inspired by information on World War I German camouflage on the excellent “Landships” website. So, on the left hand side of the photograph below, there’s a slightly futuristic camouflage pattern which is similar to the pattern which seems to have been painted on some German troops’ helmets and artillery in 1918.
On the right hand side, I opted for a more “dappled” camouflage scheme, trying to echo the colours I used in the wooded terrain boards I built in the early summer.
I tried to stay close to the information on the Landships site, but I fully accept that there’s a degree of interpretation about the overall camouflage scheme I used on both field guns. I thought that the final results looked “about right” and, perhaps just as much to the point, both were a lot of fun to paint.
Finally, here’s a picture of one of the field guns occupying the prepared position terrain insert I blogged about a few days back. As you can see, it’s a tight squeeze getting the gun into place, but it does fit. It helps that the gun crew figures nearest the field gun, from Great War Miniatures, are in kneeling positions and so fit inside the low ceiling of the position (which is glued in place).
I also added one of the trench boxes into the position for effect in the photos, although I’m currently working on a German field telephonist to squeeze into the corner!