Monday 18 August 2014

WBQ, Mud & Blood and "From Empire to Revolution"!


One of the items of news which I have been unforgivably tardy about is the much-anticipated and thoroughly wonderful first issue of “Wargame Bloggers Quarterly”(WBQ). This is a FREE community driven electronic magazine in PDF format composed of the best wargames and miniature painting content from the collective blogosphere.

It’s the brain-child of Michael Mills (Millsy) and many others and, in short, its absolutely terrific. The purpose of the WBQ is to help promote wargaming and miniature painting and ensure that the best material generated by participants in the hobby is available to the wider community in the long term. Kind of like a “Way Back Machine” for wargames blogging, if you will.

For a long time I’ve been bowled over by the talent of the wargames bloggers working on the internet, but the speed and sheer professionalism of the first edition of WBQ has blown me away. A wonderful community project, and one which I shall be supporting any way I can.

You can find Issue One HERE, with an Official Charter for the magazine HERE. Millsy’s own very fine blog, "Cannister & Grape", provides more details, HERE.  Submission guidelines for future issues are HERE.

Other news which might be of interest is that TooFatLardies have been updating their popular First World War rules, “Through the Mud and the Blood” in time for the centenary of the War. The rules have been out of print in hard copy for some time, and I know Richard Clarke is keen to get them back on the shelf as they have been a steady and popular seller for many years. The new printed edition rules have been updated for some errata picked up in hundreds of games and play-tests, and we’ve been busy preparing some new photos to grace the interior pages.

Here’s some images from a photo-session this weekend to hopefully help direct your mouse to the TooFat Lardies’ shopping carts.




Finally, and also in First World War mode, my friend Chris Stoesen posted on his blog earlier that his Eastern Front Supplement for “Through the Mud and the Blood”, “From Empire to Revolution”, is nearing final preparation. Chris kindly sent me a very early draft of the supplement a few years ago and even at that early stage it was an excellent piece of work. Accounts of low-level platoon-scale actions from the Eastern Front of the First World War are hard to come across, but Chris has done a great job of tracking down more than a dozen. All of Chris' supplements which I have purchased have been well worth the cover price, with his supplement booklet "The Coming Thunder" (for the ACW in Virginia) being a real favourite of mine.   I am sure that "From Empire to Revolution" will be no exception. 

Head on over to Chris’ blog for updates, but in the meantime, here’s a copy of the cover which looks splendid.


Next up ... wargaming with Zouaves, Tirailleurs Marocains and l'Armée d'Afrique ! 

21 comments:

  1. Excellent, I will certainly be picking up a copy of the new edition of Mud and Blood! Amazing pictures as always, Sidney!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex!! I should mention that there are not very many changes in the new print edition - perhaps a dozen, just to correct printing mistakes in the first version, and to make clear a couple of points of errata which have confused people. (I'd hate for you to buy a new version and to notice hardly any differences).

      The new version is a bit snazzier as regards new photos, but otherwise everything is pretty much the
      same.

      As a long term plan we have an idea to think about doing a "Chain of Command" variant for the Great War, but that's some distance off (if it happens at all).

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the clarification, Sidney, I may just fork out for the new photos though!

      It would be certainly interesting to see a CoC version of the Great War, I haven't played the WW2 version but have only heard good things about it!

      Delete
  2. The WBQ does indeed look very good! I'll try and add something when I feel I have something worthwhile to add other then just unit photo's which constitutes most my material.

    Your WWI looks fantastic and I'm sure will help increase sales of Through the Mud and Blood and my friend Nick will probably be interested in the eastern front supplement.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christopher. Your figures would grace any publication. I think one of the things we're hoping to do is have a variety of different articles for WBQ, so I think just about anything goes!

      Delete
  3. WBQ is such a great idea as there's a lot of potential in drawing on wargames blogs these days. Looking forward to its progress.
    Also glad to see MB getting a new edition. Had no chance playing it yet, but I've seen quite a few people adopting the rules for their WW1 games. Your blog helped great deal talking one or two into that. ;-) So I'm sure there's even more interest in a visually revamped version.

    Cheers, Tilman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tilman! Part of the fun of any rules set is tweaking them - which we seem to do with "Mud and Blood" every time we play! We resisted the temptation to introduce all of the "Special Rules" dropped into various scenarios. Now that really would have taken extra space!

      Delete
  4. Oh great! I only got a PDF copy after you corrupted me and the York bloggers do in May, even though I have no intention (yet) of 'doing' the First World War. Now you tell me the new edition is full of great eye candy AND there's an RCW suplement coming out.
    This little butterfly can do without that sort of 'encouragement', thank you. >:O(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry! You just were (un?)lucky to play in one of the rare games I run when the scenario didn't collapse in the first half an hour, leading to dark mutterings from club members! I shall try harder to be my usual (ineffective and inept) self next time!

      Delete
  5. Lovely to see more of your splendid work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the plug. I am very excited to see this come together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Chris! Good luck with the Supplement!

      Delete
  7. Excellent news,,more projects to sort sort!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the shout out for WBQ Sidney. Looking forward to seeing your wonderful stuff in there sooner rather than later mate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Millsy, thanks again for the wonderful inspiration for WBQ! Looking forward to contributing shortly!

      Delete
  9. M&B for the Eastern Front fantastic news, I have been using a variant for my RJW Stuff, but it would be good to give my Russians something extra to shoot at...
    Thanks for postings.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stu! You'll enjoy Chris's Eastern Front supplement. It covers a lot of unusual engagements, with troops rarely seen on the tabletop.

      Delete
  10. Great news! As Chris correctly pointed out the eastern front supplement really got me excited and together with the new pics of your splendid figures and table finally succeded in leting my resistance crumble. Will buy the new edition as soon as it gets available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Moiterei! Chris' supplement will be excellent (based on the early draft I saw). Not sure when Richard is publishing the printed "Mud and Blood", but I doubt you'll have to wait long.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...