Sunday 31 January 2016

Roundwood Recommends Number 4: "Wargames Illustrated Paints"


I've been enjoying a consistent run with the paint brushes this January, trying to spend at least 15 minutes each day painting up some late 17th Century figures as part of my “new” (actually older and now resurrected) wargaming period. Lots of things have helped me achieve of a rare purple patch of painting consistency.

Remembering each evening to sit down and pick up a paintbrush when getting home from work has helped a lot. The more I’ve done, the more I’ve wanted to do – regular painting creating a bit of a momentum as I see the results very slowly building up over time.

Curt’s Painting Challenge has really helped, sharing the experience of winter painting with a great collection of other hobbyists, painters and wargamers throughout the world.

And also, I’ve been reading painting guides. I blogged about “Painting Wargames Figures”, a great little book from Javier Gomez, “El Mercenario” last Autumn, which I find really useful. This post, I’d like to recommend “Wargames Illustrated Paints”, a super little magazine supplement from the publisher of Wargames Illustrated, and available from North Star Miniatures and from some newsagents in the UK such as W.H. Smiths.

Written by the very talented Matt Parkes and Dave Taylor, “Wargames Illustrated Paints” takes the reader through a complete guide to painting wargames figures. At 74 pages, it’s a shorter publication than “Painting Wargames Figures”, but it covers everything you could really want from a painting guide. Preparation, undercoating, basic techniques, and face and skin painting are all covered before Matt and Dave move offer some very interesting sections dealing with more advanced techniques.


There is an exceptionally good, but quite advanced, section on painting different fabric textures. The section on painting faces is excellent, giving several different methods of painting skin textures and features such as scars, freckles and black eyes! There's a lovely section on painting wood, which I have never seen addressed before in such detail, or so well.  And there’s a great section on metallic, illustrated with the example of a plate armored nobleman, which includes a stunning black-plate decorated Tudor armour painting guide. Sections on horses (always useful) and bring end up the booklet, each of which gives some very useful advice.


“Wargames Illustrated Paints” is very well illustrated in colour throughout, with lots of photographs and sidebar sections setting out “how to” guides. I would have added more images to this blog post, but as the publication is only short I didn’t want to “give the game away” or infringe copyright. 

 
Therefore, I’d simply say that “Wargames Illustrated Paints” is an excellent booklet, full of sound advice for all wargames painters. I think that the booklet is more focused on the intermediate, improving, or experienced painter than the total beginner, with some of the techniques being quite advanced. However, for anyone having painted a couple of dozen figures and who wants to improve their brushmanship or brushwomanship, it should definitely have a place on your bookshelf.

One of the best things about the booklet is that it is also very reasonably priced – only £5.95 in the UK, and in my view worth every penny. I’ve been using it on a near-daily basis to try and refine my painting techniques, and I’ve really had fun try to recreate some of Matt and Dave’s effects. If you fancy doing the same, give “Wargames Illustrated Paints” a try, with my firm recommendation!

25 comments:

  1. Good review. I have both and I prefer the WI booklet.

    At least 15 minutes a day painting? As a nomadic painter I'd need at least five minutes either side of that to get my kit together and then square it away afterwards, so, say, 30 minutes a day for me. You must have the self discipline of a Shaolin Monk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gary! Being a nomadic painter, setting up and clearing away, is really hard work. You have my sympathies, buddy (been there and done that). I'm not sure about having self-discipline - although the lash of the Challenge is helping!

      Delete
  2. I think I'll have to pick this one up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nate, it really is a good purchase. Something for everyone in it.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the review, I may have to pick that one up- I already have the Javier Gomez title you mention, a handy reference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jacksarge! Both the Javier Gomez book and the "Wargames Illustrated Paints" booklet go well together. They're fairly complimentary. One of the nice things about both books is that they cover painting from the starting point of (mainly) using Vallejo acrylic paints. They take different approaches using the same paint, but the results are similar. The Javier Gomez book is (in my view) better for the beginner, and "Wargames Illustrated Paints" is more aimed at the intermediate painter.

      Both books, however, have loads to teach everyone!

      Delete
  4. Think I need it too. Thanks Sidney.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been eyeing this publication for some time now, still not sure whether to buy it or no but your blessing is starting to tip the scales towards "buy"...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to see you back in painting mode Sidney! I actually quite missed your excellent figures. Very useful review too. Bought it from my local gaming store some days ago and have to say it's well worth the money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done, Nick! It's a great read, and very useful. I am back in painting mode - think slow and steady, and please bear with me! Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the recommendation Sidney, I have seen it in WHSmith's so I will have to take the plunge. I look forward to seeing the results of your painting frenzy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! "Frenzy" - well, frenzied for me, is pretty slow for most, but thanks anyway, Pat! Always appreciated :)

      Delete
  8. Looks good, thanks for the heads up
    I would also recommend taking a look to the Painting War guides, focused on specific periods and armies.
    They are being published now in English

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got a PDF copy
      Excellent recommendation

      Delete
    2. Thanks Benito. And a great recommendation in return. I have the first of the "Painting War" books, and thought it was excellent. I should pick up the others. Thanks again!

      Delete
  9. Looks interesting I might pick up a copy. Thanks for posting Sidney.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christopher! It's very useful, so if you see one on the shelf, give it look.

      Delete
  10. Thanks for the nice write-up! It was certainly fun laying out Matt's articles back when I worked at WI, and being asked to contribute a couple of sections was great too! Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave!!! Thanks so much for dropping by and commenting. It is a very handsome booklet, and very useful. Very best wishes to you from your many, many friends in the UK!

      Delete
  11. Hmm? I'll look out for that, ta!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the good review. I should look out for that book.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...