Friday 4 September 2020

In The Cold Season of the Year : A miniature campaign version of Laarden, 1688



One of the things I've been doing in Lockdown is working through a list of projects I've wanted to finish for some time.  This has included creating a very miniature version, of the old Games Workshop "Mighty Empires", set in the cold, winter-bound countryside of 17th Century Flanders.

I've always been fascinated by games which reduce military campaigning to a manageable, miniature scale.  Reading the accounts of soldiers through history, campaigning seems to have been anything but manageable, and 17th Century campaigning was no exception.  Yet there is something which really appeals to a world-building wargamer in trying to reduce a messy, chaotic, sprawling experience - moving armies across a potential battlefield - into a coherent, neatly manageable, tabletop experience.


“Mighty Empires” had the same feel about it, although the scope of that game was far greater – it created both a campaigning and battle game, as opposed to just a wargames campaigning tool.  I wanted to take my inspiration from the look and framework of “Mighty Empires”, but leave the project as a campaign tool only – being an attractive way of setting the scene before the action moves to the wargaming tabletop.

Projects often take some time to come to fruition, and this was no exception.  I’d had the 40mm hexagon tiles, in 3mm MDF, from Warbases, for some time.  I was also left with a fairly large amount of 2mm terrain pieces from Irregular Miniatures, a surplus from my Thirty Years War project in 2mm a few years back.  My first decision was whether to continue the winter-terrain theme from the 2mm Thirty Years War collection, or create something for summer or autumn to match my 28mm Laarden figures.  In the end, I went for the former, really because I thought winter campaigning offered some interesting challenges as a game environment.



Creating the small terrain tiles was quite fun, and not too difficult.  I had thirty hexagon tiles, and I wanted a variety of terrain types, mainly reflecting northern France and Flanders.  Woods, low hills, windmills, a river, some bad roads, several small villages and a small walled town all seemed to fit with the theme I wanted.  Much of this was scratchbuilt – with hills being scraps of extruded Styrofoam covered with Polyfilla, woods being clump foliage and the river banks being built up with green-stuff putty.  The Irregular terrain items made good-looking villages and farms.  The town was carved and cut out with a very sharp scalpel, using a stencil, and with Brigade Models’ 2mm buildings adding the ‘look’ of a Flemish town of late-17th Century.




As you can see, most of the items were basically scrap or left-over items from other projects.  I always like to try and get some use from leftovers like this, rather than consigning them into a spares-box for a decade or so!

What I was trying to create was something which looked like a reasonable approximation of a campaign map – showing major features, albeit major features which were somewhat out-of-scale and exaggerated.  I wasn’t keen on creating anything like a properly scaled model of a late-17th Century fortified town for the project.  Rather, I wanted to create something which had the feel of such a place.

I painted the hex tiles with a light grey emulsion paint, with a dry brush of white emulsion.  The woods I soaked in PVA, and then painted them black, and dry brushed brown, then light grey.  The cold, slow-running river was painted in a dark blue, with a couple of coats of varnish.  And some “1mm snow”, essentially cotton dust, finished the look I was aiming for.

Hopefully this will be a portable, and very versatile, campaigning tool, adaptable not just for the 17th Century, but for just about anything from 1550 to 1815.  Maybe it can even fit an earlier period if I add a medieval-walled town instead of the trace italienne version.  The tiles should be versatile enough to be picked out by the players at the start of a club night game, or selected before a tabletop battle and turned into a suitable paper map through a few photographs and maybe a little photo-shopping.

I’ll have a look in the next blog post at some possible rules to use with the tiles, again with a grateful nod in the direction of “Mighty Empires”.  

Also, while on the subject of acknowledgements, I’d like to thank fellow-Twitter user, Adam Clark, for his own posts of his “Mighty Empire” tiles from a recent Kickstarter, which were very inspirational and prompted me to rescue this project from the ‘pending’ pile.  Thanks Adam!




33 comments:

  1. Great work, chilled to the bone just looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. .....brrrrr.... yes, that reaction was very much the hope! Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Fantastic stuff, consider me inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Peter.... Just wait until I've done the coastline ;)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Jacksarge.... much appreciated!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Tamsin!! Great to have you dropping by... thank you!

      Delete
  6. Very elegant sir...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very kind indeed, Sir!! Thanks so very much, Aly!

      Delete
  7. What delightful miniatures! Love the windmill but the walled town is ace!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Ian! The windmills are fun, but maybe a little bit small for the scale. I might experiment a bit with a different one. The walled town was fun to create.

      Delete
  8. Now that looks very cool indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Astonishing and lovely - a work of art in it's own right. It has an "in the bleak midwinter" and "long ago" feel to it. There are some interesting maneuver possibilities looking at the river and bridges. What is the scale of the hexes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Mike! I wanted to create something flexible, variable, portable and also attractive. I liked the midwinter feel, but I also thought - reading about the Thirty Years War and the Fronde, as well as the French campaigns of 1672/1673 against the Dutch - that winter campaigning had some interesting dynamics all of its own. The rivers, and the "bridge of boats" can create some possibilities for moving troops, as well as the usual 'choke-points' and water barriers.

      The hexes are 40mm diameter. You could, of course, make the hex tiles larger, but there are some additional considerations. Larger hex tiles need a larger space to stage the campaign (depending on the number of hex tiles, of course). And larger tiles possibly lead to less differences in move distances (more of that in the next blog-post!). So I felt that the 40mm diameter was a good balance.

      Delete
  10. It looks really lovely. A miniature world beautifully realised.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Carole! Realising miniature worlds is what I'm hopefully trying to be about here on the blog! Thanks!!

      Delete
  11. Creatively conceived and beautifully realized. Well done Sidney! I love the Vauban walled town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much!! If truth be told, its something I should have done last 'Challenge X', but .... shhhhh, don't tell anyone! Glad you like the walled town!

      Delete
  12. Very nice and very wintery.

    You could probably make a mold for these out of pourable silicone and recast them to make spring, summer, and fall versions, if you really want to be ambitious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much. That's a very good idea, and I had wondered about that. I have tried making some autumnal terrain in 2mm, but I think it's more difficult. The rich dark browns, russets and ochre colours of a Fall landscape tend to overshadow the small 2mm blocks - I felt that the 2mm blocks/figures got lost in the autumn terrain, rather than standing out from it. By contrast, with a snow-bound winter landscape, I felt I could create something bleak, and almost bleached. Any troops stand out better, and colourful troops stand out best of all. Towns and villages get a little lost (snowed-up roofs), until you look from an angle, and then they can be seen.

      It's very much a personal choice, and I'll post the autumn version i started making, here in due course. I am very sure autumn (spring or summer) could look most fine with the right colours. But I felt winter was the easiest.

      There is one very interesting point about different tiles for the seasons. And that's to try and reflect the different ways of campaigning - in winter snow/ frozen rivers, autumn mud, or summer heatwaves. Much to think on in that regard.

      Thanks again for the great suggestion.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...